Monday, August 10, 2015

August MAGAM completed - Newlook 6351 - Drawstring trousers

For August MAGAM the theme is Back to basics. I am taking a vacation in September and wanted comfortable travel pants. Why not try Newlook 6351view B.


I also wanted to make sure that the pants don't look like Pajamas, so decided to do a muslin. If it turned up  looking like Pajamas I could always wear it at home.

The fabric is a soft hand-loom cotton from my native Kerala, India. I did not have enough fabric so you will see the border peeking at the bottom of the leg and also in the back. I also had to use a little bit of the border in the back pocket. For the side pockets some remnant from another project got used.

This was an easy sew. The side pockets are a little different from what I have done before. It is cut on the fold to eliminate a seam and is cut straight instead of a curve. I liked it that it went into the waist band.

The back pocket is folded patch pocket. I modified and lined the pocket to avoid the folding. You can see the border on the back-pocket due to lack of fabric.



I went with size 20 but I think I can come down at least one size. The pattern came with an elastic guide and I needed to cut at least 5 or 6 inches lesser of the elastic. I also found the legs boxy so took in 1 inch from each of the side seam. and tapered it up to the thigh. So what do you all think? Does it look like a Pajama or can I use it as travel pants with a different fabric? Love to hear your opinion. I will definitely sew this again even if it is as a Pajama pant.

3 comments:

  1. I think they look very good. Certainly could use the pattern for several kinds of travel pants. Your profile picture shows an excellent fit.
    If you put back the 1 inch in the side seams, they would make comfortable and cute pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally perfect for travel. I love them! I agree you could easily come down one size. However, they are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally perfect for travel. I love them! I agree you could easily come down one size. However, they are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete